Advertisement

Who is "W"??

topic posted Mon, August 2, 2004 - 4:25 PM by  Michael
Share/Save/Bookmark

I've heard her say on an episode that her name is Vickie Wong. Is she a local actress? Does she really run a chef store? Will AB and W ever admit to the electrical skillet fetish they both seem to have?

Enquiring minds want to know... Like Mine!
posted by:
Michael
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Re: Who is "W"??

Mon, August 2, 2004 - 6:05 PM
    "W" works at a Bed, Bath and Beyond in Atlanta, I think.

Wed, August 4, 2004 - 8:45 AM
      Hey everyone... I get to answer my own question.

W is actually Dr. Vickie Eng. She's a chiropractor and actress in the Atlanta area. She even has a book out on Amazon.

According to the Good Eats Fan page, she really doesn't like AB. That came across in the audition and AB decided to keep it.

So there you go...

~B!!

Wed, August 4, 2004 - 8:46 AM
      Hey everyone... I get to answer my own question.

W is actually Dr. Vickie Eng. She's a chiropractor and actress in the Atlanta area. She even has a book out on Amazon.

According to the Good Eats Fan page, she really doesn't like AB. That came across in the audition and AB decided to keep it.

So there you go...

~B!!

Sun, August 8, 2004 - 2:35 AM

Not only that, but Dr. Eng isn't so much a foodie.

Sun, August 8, 2004 - 12:08 PM
      Didja catch the lastest new episode, on wonton skins? There's a scene all about kitchen contraptions for steaming, that AB staged with himself and W in a steam-room, towels and all, that was absolutely hysterical. Given that Vickie doesn't really care for Alton, I am all the more intrigued as to how he succeeded in talking her into that scene--it was just slightly edgy even for Good Eats. She must be a really dedicated actress (only half-joking here--no, really!).

Sun, August 8, 2004 - 2:02 PM
        Well, maybe she just didn't like him at first, but he's won her over by now.

He kind of grows on you, like shitakes on a log.

~B!

Mon, August 9, 2004 - 9:38 AM
        <I am all the more intrigued as to how he succeeded in talking her into that scene>

Why do you think she would be reluctant to do the scene?

Mon, August 9, 2004 - 6:44 PM
          Because when one dislikes a person, one usually doesn't want to be seen on nationwide TV half-nekkid in a steamroom with them. :-)

Mind you, since I adore Alton, I'd be all for the part about being half-nekkid in the steamroom with him ... but I confess I'd still have qualms about having that scenario taped for nationwide broadcast. :-)

Tue, August 10, 2004 - 11:05 AM
            >Because when one dislikes a person, one usually doesn't want to be seen on nationwide TV half-nekkid in a steamroom with them. :-) <

You don't know for a fact that she dislikes him. What you read/heard was hearsay unless it came directly from her.

You'd be surprised at what people do for money. She is getting more than AFTRA minimum for her work on his show, that plus the residuals over the next 5-10 years every time her episodes are shown will keep her, and AB, smiling.

Additionally, the publicists will encourage such rumors to keep interest in the show high. More viewers, more advertisers, more money.

It's called show "business".

Tue, August 10, 2004 - 7:04 PM
              Well, I happen to be very active on the fan bulletin board associated with www.goodeatsfanpage.com, the website where the "rumor" originated. I've gotten to know the host of that page, who is on good terms with the staff of Good Eats and gets his info regularly corroborated by them. In fact, that site is a treasure-trove of information about the show, including full transcripts of many of the episodes. All this led me to believe that the information was accurate rather than rumor.

Plus you'll note that I ended my first, quite lighthearted post with the equally-lighthearted line: "She must be a really dedicated actress (only half-joking here--no, really!)" Meaning, I understand that dedicated acting professionals don't allow their personal feelings to stand in the way of doing their job. In other words, yes, I understand it is a business, and that people do these things for money--and also out of personal professionalism and dedication to their craft. That doesn't stop actors from having feelings about what they're doing, though.

I find these little behind-scenes emotional interactions entertaining to contemplate. I'm guessing from your response that you possibly don't, and That's Okay. Just don't mind me any mind if I enjoy getting a grin out of the possibilities of the situation. Cheers!

Fri, August 27, 2004 - 5:36 PM

I'd imagine Dr. Eng and Mr. Brown probably at least has a decent working relationship, if not a great personal relationship, although you've got to wonder if he's won her over or not.

That being said, those things are usually shot with *something* on; they aren't done fully nude. Camera angles can do a lot to fool the eyes.

Fri, August 27, 2004 - 7:13 PM
      Fangeek that I am, I went to a cooking demo and booksigning Alton gave a couple of weeks ago here in San Diego. In response to someone in the crowd asking about "W", he laughed and reiterated the whole business about hiring Dr. Eng because her visible dislike for him worked so well in the part. Now, what this means for their professional relationship, or whether he's succeeded since then in charming her, I haven't a clue. But I was amused to say the least that he shared this with a whole shopping mall court-ful of spectators. Guess it's not that big of an issue--but it sure looked like he still thinks it's funny. :-)

Recent topics in "Good Eats"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Pressure Cookers FeralCat 6 March 12, 2012
Alton & Welch's offlineJoe 5 December 13, 2008
chocolate waffels??? Kip 6 December 13, 2008
A few GE clips added to hulu.com Ronzoni 0 October 28, 2008